Skip to main content

Where's Waldo (in his Orthopedic Socks and Sandals)?



Is there subtle Ageism at Tech companies?

I've always wanted to work in the gaming industry.   Unfortunately when the gaming companies first formed, most were on the west coast and since I was a Mom and lived on the east coast, transferring across the country wasn't much of an option.    So I dreamed, and wished, and "le sighed" a lot.

Now when I check out my Twitter, LinkedIn, or other social media platforms, I notice a depressing sight.   In all the pictures of the companies with shots of their people (usually showing off fun events, big announcements, new interns, etc.), there is a decided lack of older people in the pictures.

It's like playing "Where's Waldo", only more difficult.   BTW, Waldo cannot be one of the founding members, or an owner of the company.   That doesn't count.

I realize the younger generations may be thought of as more tech savvy, or perhaps more cutting edge in their thinking, but older generations who have played video games might have a different appreciation as to how far the video gaming industry has come along.   With that appreciation, their perspective might just bring about some ideas that would otherwise be missing from employees that never suffered through "Pong", never cursed out Sonic, or trashed a controller on the first Zelda game (hey some of the puzzles were frustrating.  It was the early days of games).

Remember the game that had no video, just words?  You had to type "go left" or "look up" or "explore the floor"?   It was a dungeon crawler game, without the dungeon.  lol   Just a screen where you typed instructions and it responded back with "Nothing is there" or "You found a torch".  It was amazing at the time and one of the first games that had me hooked.   It actually came standard on some of the earlier computers.   (This particular game, I actually discovered on my computer at work!  Ooops, Mr. IT guy, sorry.)   After that, there was no looking back, and computer games became almost an obsession for me.

But back to hi tech company demographics.   Forget about the development roles, what about admins, hardware techs, research, or artist positions?   There does not seem to be a reason that an older worker should not fill these roles.   So where are they in the pictures?

As an older worker, I realize we tend to stay at jobs longer, but is that a bad thing?  We won't be taking maternity leave; we would be (probably) more appreciative we're working at a GREAT company and not looking in 3 years to jump companies for better pay or a better title.   Just a thought and perhaps a blanket statement opinion with no data on hand to back these thoughts up.

This is after all a Blog.   And a simple Blog at that.   A blog to write my thoughts, ideas, inane observations; not a professional site, just a personal one.

But, I'd be curious to see the workforce demographics, turnover rate, time off studies, etc. of the high tech companies where the majority of employees are under 35-40 as opposed to a similar company whose workforce has a higher percent of employees over 35-40, if there is a similar company.

I'd like to think that ageism isn't the norm in high tech companies.   And that should an "older" applicant land a job interview, questions like "Tell me about yourself" isn't being used to find out how old their kids are, in order to estimate your age range. But in reality, we all know it is.  Along with some other subtle questions HR employs in the interview process.

I want to "find Waldo" more often in a high tech company's social media post.   And if Waldo is wearing orthopedic socks with sandals, that's bonus points!   (In spite of it being a bad fashion choice.)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WoW Bucket List

Everybody should have a bucket list.  Mine has been recycled quite a few times, held together by duct tape, and the handle has since broken off, but the bucket still holds water. Nestled in my bucket list, somewhere between visiting Italy and paying off all my debt, is to visit Blizzard HQ and attend Blizzcon.   I had to scratch working for Blizzard off my list, although I'm a great Executive Assistant, I figure I'm unemployable at a new company whilst going through cancer.   I can just imagine the interview process: Me:   "Yes I need 2 days off a month to get chemo.  And, oh yea, your insurance company is going to hate both you and me because your loss ratio is going to increase and set you back 3 years at minimum, along with the premiums going up." Uh sorry, where was I?    Oh yea, so bucket list, Blizzard/Blizzcon.  It's an odd bucket list item.   Bucket items are supposed to be a bit more grandiose.   I mean it's not like Blizzard is the moth

My sin: Button Pushing is my Downfall in Wow and Real Life

In WoW, the correct way to play is to key bind your spells/abilities to your keyboard.    After 12 years playing as a  clicker, I'm trying to do this.   I really am.   But, I suck at it!    I end up pushing buttons randomly in panic, to not being able to move with my mouse and therefore dying in the fire (a mortal sin in WoW).   My DPS suffers terribly.  So does my self esteem (in game) when I'm one of the, if not THE lowest DPS in the raid.    I don't want to raid much any more unless the guild is bringing some alts to the raids and therefore they are prepared to carry folks.   I can't take it (key binds) and I always revert back to the old way of clicking.  After 12 years+ playing, I am so conditioned to using my mouse to click spells, that I can't seem to break the habit. Yes, buttons pushing is my downfall.     Even in real life.  Case in point, this: It was in the beginning of my cancer diagnosis and after one of my first chemo treatments.   When we were

Pet Peeves

I have a few pet peeves.  This one is regarding dumb/stupid terms/bad phrases. This particular post was brought on when I had to order business cards for a new Director at work; an IoT Director. Now picture this printed on his business cards. Mr. John Smith Director of the Internet of Things   Never.Gonna.Happen.  The acronym will always be used.  Unless you're me.  Ordering business cards and this is your title.     I mean really?   "the Internet of Things ?"  Things?!   Here are some synonyms for the word "thing".     stuff star baggage star chattels star clothes star conditions star duds star effects star gear star goods star possessions None of these words really fit.  Why didn't he (Kevin Ashton) think this phrase through?   Do a little research maybe.   At the very least check some synonyms to see if the word worked, or if there was a better word to use.   These words listed above, were around in 1999 when he co